COP26: "Betrayal" that´s how young people describes government´s failure to cut carbon emissions
Caras e caros amigos,
Juntem-se a mim e a todas estas jovens no apoio a este apelo que fazem aos líderes mundiais. Estas jovens merecem todo o meu respeito e apoio.
"Betrayal" é também como me sinto. Impotente perante tanta prepotência de quem lidera, mas cada vez com mais força para não desistir e ir á luta. Quam me acompanha?
Eu já subscrevi o apelo, e tu do que estás á espera?
To world leaders:
That's how young people around the world are describing our governments' failure to cut carbon emissions. And it's no surprise.
We are catastrophically far from the crucial goal of 1.5°C, and yet governments everywhere are still accelerating the crisis, spending billions on fossil fuels.
This is not a drill. It's code red for the Earth. Millions will suffer as our planet is devastated -- a terrifying future that will be created, or avoided, by the decisions you make. You have the power to decide.
As citizens across the planet, we urge you to face up to the climate emergency. Not next year. Not next month. Now:
- Keep the precious goal of 1.5°C alive with immediate, drastic, annual emission reductions unlike anything the world has ever seen.
- End all fossil fuel investments, subsidies, and new projects immediately, and stop new exploration and extraction.
- End creative carbon accounting by publishing total emissions for all consumption indices, supply chains, international aviation and shipping, and the burning of biomass.
- Deliver the $100bn promised to the most vulnerable countries, with additional funds for climate disasters.
- Enact climate policies that protect workers and the most vulnerable, and reduce all forms of inequality.
Greta from Sweden, Vanessa from Uganda, Dominika from Poland, and Mitzi from the Philippines